Core Math Program
- main texts are Nelson Math 3 and 4 and JumpMath, combined with other resources.
- A homework recommendation is doing home math fact practice 3 times a week for 5-15 minutes at a time. On-line resources (free) could include Mathmagician.com and Multiplication.com.
- Students have been enrolled in a free math practice program called Prodigy Math. Students can log in and work through math questions at home as well. Often the practice will be linked to units that students are studying -Students will be starting working through a number value assignment in October.
- group, partner and individual problem solving
in October we will be starting...
- number value (using charts, tokens, base 10 blocks)
- writing numbers in a variety of ways (standard number form, words, expanded form)
- creating largest and smallest numbers from a set of digits
- comparing and ordering numbers
- rounding numbers to the closest 10, 100, 1000
- pattern attributes (sounds, shapes, letters, digits)
- repeating patterns (with a 'core')
- growing or decreasing patterns (find the 'rule')
- t-tables (identify the pattern rule)
- charts (noticing patterns in charts, problem solving)
- simple + and - equations
Pay attention to patterns around you...